31 March 2008

Paint It Yourself!


Paintings

I am experimenting with acrylic paints, and am pleased to show off my most recent finished painting, which is the one on the right above! Both paintings above have been done using a set where the picture is pre-printed onto the canvas, ready for you to paint the colour on with the acrylics - kind of like a grown up paint-by-numbers, without the numbers. I have found this a great way to get used to the paints, before experimenting with your own design. These were both fun to do, though I have to admit, the one on the left is still my favourite - the cakes look good enough to eat! It is also a good conversation starter, I have had many groups of people sat discussing which of the cakes they think looks best!

I like the look of this Cubist Pink canvas - I think my next project may be to try designing my own canvas, using this one as inspiration! I shall keep you posted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your cakes, but it still bugs me that the front cake doesn't have a pink flower!

I know, I'm a loon... I'm not sure how far I like this kind of craft - I hesitate to call it art - though I guess it's not far away from following knitting patterns. I guess I think that visual art should be more organic and unique. It's an interesting debate.

Anonymous said...

I do love your cupcakes painting! It's very textured which makes it look yummy. Mmm... I hope you keep posting your paintings so I can see 'em. x

Anonymous said...

Kirsty - Personally, I think they are a great beginners tool to introduce someone to that craft and they are still created by the user - in the same way that a Clothkits skirt, for example, is still a handmade skirt, this is still a painting. With both, you have just had some help on the way! As for the pink flower, I know what you mean, but I actually quite like it for the simple fact that I would usually have made it a pink one as I love symmetry and pattern, but I managed to break away from that!

Mo - thank you!! I do think the cupcakes look very yummy, and will definitely post any more paintings I do :)

Anonymous said...

That's a really good point, Em. Lots of crafts can be fairly scary to start as they require both knowledge and expensive resources, so something that someone can do to test if that craft is for them is a very good idea. I think your cupcakes are pretty! x